There are many museums in the area for those who like to learn of our history and culture.
Port aux Basques Gulf Museum
Located on Main Street, visit the Gulf Museum where you can see on display two 17th century astrolabes which are ancient navigational aids. Both of these artifacts were found by a local diver off of the shores of nearby Isle aux Morts. Also on display are Dorset Eskimo artifacts from the Cape Ray site, old photographs, tools, model ships and more.
Port aux Basques Railway Heritage Centre
The Port aux Basques Railway Heritage Centre is located at the entrance to town. This site reflects the voyages that began over 100 years ago with the railway connecting to the Gulf Ferry for travel to mainland Canada and beyond. Take a walk back in time to recapture the importance of the railway to Newfoundland's history and have a first-hand look at the legacy that the railway left behind.
Margaree - Route 470
Exit into the community and follow the signs to visit the Misery Point Fishing Livyer's Station. This is a home that was moved from another community by schooner in 1944. The house is well over 100 years old. This site reflects the way that fishermen and their families lived in the late 1800s. The name Misery Point comes from the unpredictable weather conditions on this point. Stories tell of how, at times, the sea rose so high that it would come into the home, and how winter sea ice would break the windows of the home. The site has a fisherman's store, fish flakes, root cellar, kitchen garden – all amenities of early settlement. The site also has a small craft store. Admission is by donation.
Isle aux Morts - Route 470
The name of this community translated from French means "island of the dead", so referred to because of the numerous shipwrecks in the area. Visit the Walters House, which was the first church and school in the community; later, a small addition was built on to have a store attached to the house. This house is well over 100 years old and is the last A-frame house in the community. The history of the community of Isle aux Morts is portrayed in this home. Admission is by donation.
Burnt Islands - Route 470
Burnt Islands, like most small communities in Newfoundland, depends on the sea for its livelihood. The Hook & Line Interpretation Centre is dedicated to the fishery. Stop by and see the fishermen baiting their gear, and learn how and why the fishing industry is so vital to the economy of Newfoundland. Admission is $2.00 per person. There is a small craft store and coffee shop on site.
Rose Blanche Lighthouse - Route 470
Rose Blanche lighthouse is a must-see for all visitors. It is the last remaining granite lighthouse on Canada's Atlantic Seaboard. It is the only lighthouse in the world restored from ruins and the first lighthouse in the province that was given the designation of being a registered historic structure. Although it was decommissioned prior to confederation with Canada, it became a Canadian lighthouse in 2001 by the installation of a harbour entrance light in the tower. The original lighting apparatus was made by D & T Stevenson of Scotland, the family of the author Robert Louis Stevenson. All mail leaving Rose Blanche during the summer season is cancelled out by a stamp of the lighthouse – a sure collector's item. Visit and learn how the lighthouse was restored, why lighthouses play an integral role in the history of our province and about the community. There is a craft store on site, along with other amenities. Admission is $3.00 per person.
Cape Ray Lighthouse - Route 408
Exit Route 408 to Cape Ray and follow the road to the Cape Ray lighthouse site. Here, visit the lightkeeper's house museum and craft store. For a small fee, the visitor can climb the lighthouse tower with a lightkeeper. Cape Ray lighthouse site is also the site of a Dorset Paoloeskimo village that was inhabited over 1800 years ago. Over 4500 artifacts have been excavated from the site and some are on display in the lightkeeper's house museum. Cape Ray lighthouse is also the site where the first submarine cable landed in 1856 to link Newfoundland to North America. The lighthouse site was one of five lighthouses in Newfoundland to pilot Marconi's invention – the telegraph. Special events are held on the site during the year, including "Christmas at the Light". Admission is by donation.
Codroy Valley Lighthouse - Route 406
Visit the Grand Codroy Wildlife Museum and Nature Park. This museum has the largest mounted moose in the province, weighing in at 1500 pounds. The museum also houses over 300 different species of birds, animals and fish, mounted and displayed as if they were in their natural habitat. None of the animals mounted in this museum were killed for sport or for display. On the grounds of the museum, there are different farm animals in a petting zoo. There is a playground on site as well. Admission is $7.00 per person.
Ready to start your trip? Call to make a reservation!